Getting Hired, the weekly job search advice newspaper column, was written by Marvin Walberg and was published nationally in newspapers and websites by The Scripps Howard News Service from 1991 -- 2013. Marvin Walberg has a lifetime of sales experience and has concentrated on the job search process for over 20 years.
I know it’s cliché, but change happens – it’s inevitable. Progress, however, often requires change, so with that in mind, Scripps Howard News Service, after 96 years, is restructuring and McClatchy-Triibune News Service will take over Scripps Howard’s clients. “Getting Hired”, after almost 23years, will not continue.
Change happens, but change brings progress, with the right attitude. With the passing of “Getting Hired” as you know it today, here’s what I ask for you:
• Keep focused on your goals.
• Keep actively listening.
• Keep being persistent without being obnoxious.
• Keep selling your skills and strengths.
• Keep asking questions and listening to the
• Instead of following rumors, get information from
• Keep networking with everyone you know, including
friends, family, and neighbors, and everyone you meet.
• Keep your “elevator pitch” ready!
• Keep believing in yourself and selling your beliefs.
• Visualize your dream job.
• Set your goals.
• Never give up –chase your dream.
• Clean up your social media sites – what you post today could affect your job search success years from now!
• If you see what you want, ask for it!
• Keep doing what others fail to do!
• Please don’t just sit at your computer posting on
the Internet. Get up, get dressed, get out, and make something happen for yourself.
I will continue posting on my website,
invite your questions. It will be my pleasure to share my observations,
opinions, and advice. My email address is email@example.com,
and I will respond to your inquiries.
I have enjoyed the past 22+ years and hope that “Getting Hired” has made a difference and helped changed lives. Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to keep it going. I will try. In the meantime, keep in touch on my website, thank you, Happy Holidays, and I remind you to always
Microsoft Word document [26.0 KB]
Microsoft Word document [26.5 KB]
Microsoft Word document [25.0 KB]